Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Quotation

I'd like to start my blog today with a Quotation:

"Isn't life just so great? " - Adam

Yes Adam, yes it is. However, last time I claimed a similar thing the week following I had the week from hell... so be careful not to appear too happy at all times because someone somewhere may just decide you are a little too happy and try to ruin your life. So to be sure just for good measure try and frown at least twice a day.

Now I would like to talk about the word "Quote" and the word "Quotation". Now as most of you know "Quotation" is a noun. This means you can say things like

"Quotation of the day" or
"I have a quotation for you" or
"Could you please give me a quotation"

etc. Not that any of those things are particularly useful things to say. But you get my point. Now what most of the godamn world don't seem to realise is the word "Quote" is NOT a noun. Not at all! Not in the slightest. Therefore it makes no sense (if you're speaking English) to say

"Quote of the day" or
"I know ten Hamlet quotes"

Quote is a VERB! Eg "I am going quote Hamlet".

Now I know that I have a love quote of the day on right here on Kook Central. This is absolutely appaling. But I can't do anything about it sorry as it all just comes automatically from a quotation site. I'm so sorry. I really wish it would say quotation instead of quote.

But yeah anyway if any of you have learned something today I will be very happy.

Love from Little Miss Mindy

10 comments:

LaraCroft said...

I thought I'd comment here just to get the first comment - but actually this is about another post: I would see any movie just cos Nicole Kidman was in it. And I couldn't say that about any guy, although if someone else wanted to see any movie with Johnny(sp?) Depp I'd go with them...

Mindy said...

Well don't see Stepford Wives. It was horrid! As in just very poorly made.

Anonymous said...

well after last night my respect for kate hudson has gone up somewhat (not that i didn't respect her before)
i especially like her hair

Mindy said...

Hello everyone I am probably going to England for work. How exciting for me. Yay! It's the plan at this stage but the customer might change their mind at any point... so fingers crossed!

Mindy said...

Oh actually I'm not going like Adam did, I'd only be going for 2-3 weeks. Quite different really.

Anonymous said...

quote can be used as a noun but only really because people do so. it is extremely unformal and should be avoided in all respectible conversations

Mindy said...

Thank you anonymous! I completely agree. I will try and limit myself to respectible conversations from now on.

Mindy said...

Well you can "quote" a price for someone. And when you do so you are giving them a "quotation".

What sounds more "right" may only sound more right because it is so common used, and all you ever hear.

Mindy said...

Yes I really do. Search google for "Free quotation" you get tons of results, including:

http://www.affordablewebsites.co.uk/free-online-quotation/free-online-quotation.htm

Anonymous said...

Indeed, for aren't the "rules" a snap shot of what a person perceives to be the usage at the time?

English was never invented. It has change pretty much constantly for two thousand years. What we speak is as similar to french as what was spoken a thousand years ago.