Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Yum!


Ok so I picked a recipe! I went with the same one as last time - the goal really this time was to make round cupcakes - and I achieved it - well they could have been a nicer shape I suppose - damn fan oven. I need to figure out which is the bake without fan setting :) Anyway I've done a photo journal to document the life of my cupcakes!

  • Stage 1 Pretty cupcake cases all ready to go!
  • Stage 2 Mmmm yummy batter - I was good and didn't eat too much.
  • Stage 3 Ta da! All cooked :) Some of them a little lopsided but not too bad.
  • Stage 4 Ready to be filled.
  • Stage 5 Yummy caramel custard filling I'll go into details of this after the photos.
  • Stage 6 Even yummier chocolate custard filling.
  • Stage 7 Caramel custard in bottom, with chocolate on top of that.
  • Stage 8 Dissolving sugar in egg whites for Swiss Meringue Buttercream.
  • Stage 9 The beating - by hand with an egg beater begins, this was the first rest I had to take.
  • Stage 10 A long time later ready to add cocoa and vanilla.
  • Stage 11 Voila 12 little cupcakes!
  • Stage 12 Mmmm yummy fillings.
Right so the good thing about these cupcakes is they actually make you loose weight. If you only have one. Well that's on one condition you have to make the swiss meringue buttercream beating it by hand with an egg beater. Man that was hard work... it took me almost an hour I think all up to get the frosting made and the cupcakes frosted. That was my exercise for the day! I'm concerned though that I'm going to build up better muscles on one arm that the other as I can only beat it turning with my right hand and holding the beater with my left.

Also the fillings were to make things more interesting - I'm glad I put them in too as they were delicious. I was just going to go with the chocolate filling but then I looked at the sized holes I'd made and the amount of chocolate filling I had and realised I wouldn't have enough so I made the caramel filling too. 

So for the recipes for the fillings. This morning I found an old tin of custard in my cupboard, this was bought ages ago before I learnt how to make custard. Anyway for the caramel custard I put maybe about 1/2 cup of the custard and 25g or so of butter, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar in a bowl and microwaved till the butter was nice and soft and mixed it up anbd cooled to room temp. It could have had a little more butter in it maybe. The chocolate custard was made in a simlar way, 3 heaped desert spoons of custard, 100g of chocolate drops, 25g butter and 1 tablespoon of milk. In the microwave for 1 minute, stir up then cool to room temp.

I got the frosting recipe from How To Eat A Cupcake it's the chocolate swiss meringue buttercream, I made half the recipe but I didn't have any chocolate left so I left that out of the recipe.

Anyway hope you're all hungry now. Hehe. Think I'll go have a cupcake.

xxx

3 comments:

amy said...

Hey Min, you cut around the top of the paper case didn't you so they would stick out the top? I need a really good recipe for my bug cupcakes that rise really high out of the case so I am able to cut the top off to make wings. Any ideas?

amy said...

Hey Min,
when you say a tin of custard do you mean custard powder? I want to make really small quantities of filling for a top secret cupcake project I'm working on and don't want to deal with condensed milk so think maybe your fillings could be good.

Mindy said...

Hi Ame,

No I mean pre made up ready to pour custard. I'm not sure you can get it in tins in NZ but you can get in cartons in the milk section.

xx