Thursday, October 16, 2008

Choc Mud Cupcakes

Ok so if I do say so myself these were a HUGE success. I am trying out the recipe for our wedding cake so wanted to see if I liked the flavour. I do indeed! I'm quite disappointed as it looks like I've found a winner with my first try. I almost don't want to share the recipe but I will - it's likely Ame will be the only one who ever uses it from here anyway!


Chocolate Mud Cupcakes

Yield - About 18

125g dark chocolate
125g butter
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1/3 cup water
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/3 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup whole milk with a dash of white vinegar added

  1. Preheat over to 160 degrees celsius (not fan forced)
  2. Prepare cupcake tins/liners whatever you're using
  3. In saucepan stir chocolate, butter, coffee powder and water together over low heat until smooth and then set aside to cool to room temp
  4. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a large bowl and stir in caster sugar (I always sift things twice)
  5. In medium bowl whisk eggs, oil and milk. Add egg mixture to dry and stir until well combined.
  6. Add the chocolate mixture in 3 lots, stiring well in between each.
  7. Put in cupcake liners!
Don't fill the cupcakes too much as this recipe does rise but doesn't do a nice cupcake mound (I based it on a cake recipe) but it will do a very flat top (which ends up nice and cookie like!) but not the best if it overflows too much. I'd say 1/2 fill would probably be best.

I will post the recipe for the white chocolate ganache mousse recipe later I've got to try and remember what I did (I made it up).

And here's the final product! You can see the nice cookie like top, but trust me the cupcake has a totally flat top under the icing (BTW I made the cute little flowers with advice on piping chocolate from Ame thanks Ame! Not bad for a first attempt).

xxx
Mindy

No comments: