- Boil sugar and water till it gets to a certain temperature
- Pour it onto a (preferably marble) board and let it cool whlie working it with knives into a ball
- When it's cool enough to pick up you pick up the ball and pull it, fold it, pull it, fold it etc till it's almost hard then cut it into pieces.
Simple! Well it was when I was young. I got to the picking it up bit and pulled it once or twice then it all turned to fudge. Literally, instead of being smooth and pullable it turned into a more fudge like consistency.
Not to be put off I decided to have a second go and tried a different recipe and photo documented the process - but it had exactly the same result. If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'll be grateful - otherwise I'm going to wait until I've got a proper candy thermometer before trying again. My current thermometer is a bit crude I dripped some of the boiling liquid in a glass of cold water and seeing if it goes brittle.
1. It was all going so well, look how neatly I pre arranged all my ingredients.
5. Still looking nice and taffy-like cooling in the pan
6. Working it with my knives... it's still looking delicious and taffy like
8. FUDGE! As soon as it turned powdery I pressed it really hard into this sandwich tin and it did still make delicious fudge.... but I wanted taffy!!!!