Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Taffy Trouble

This won't be a very textual post, it's a photo journal of my taffy making troubles and a desperate plea for help ;) What happened was the other day something made me remember about how when I was a kid, a young inexperienced kid I on one or two occasions made pull taffy. Successfully. And it was fun. So I decided to try it the other day, googled a recipe and ended up with a disaster on my hands. Here's the basics of making taffy:

  1. Boil sugar and water till it gets to a certain temperature
  2. Pour it onto a (preferably marble) board and let it cool whlie working it with knives into a ball
  3. When it's cool enough to pick up you pick up the ball and pull it, fold it, pull it, fold it etc till it's almost hard then cut it into pieces.
Simple! Well it was when I was young. I got to the picking it up bit and pulled it once or twice then it all turned to fudge. Literally, instead of being smooth and pullable it turned into a more fudge like consistency.

Not to be put off I decided to have a second go and tried a different recipe and photo documented the process - but it had exactly the same result. If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'll be grateful - otherwise I'm going to wait until I've got a proper candy thermometer before trying again. My current thermometer is a bit crude I dripped some of the boiling liquid in a glass of cold water and seeing if it goes brittle.

1. It was all going so well, look how neatly I pre arranged all my ingredients.
2. This is the sugar and water boiling, ok so this isn't the nmost exciting picture in the world.

3. Mmmm then we add the cream and butter!

4. Now it starts looking really good this is just before I deemed it ready to pour.

5. Still looking nice and taffy-like cooling in the pan

6. Working it with my knives... it's still looking delicious and taffy like

7. I even managed to pull it once or twice.... till....

8. FUDGE! As soon as it turned powdery I pressed it really hard into this sandwich tin and it did still make delicious fudge.... but I wanted taffy!!!!

xxx
Mindy

1 comment:

amy said...

I have no memories of you making taffy- mum never used to like us making sweets. Personally, I think the fudge sounds delicious!