Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Nemos and An Experiment in scaling a recipe down

Good day!

Well last night I was planning to do something but my plans were thwarted - and since I'm so busy at the moment it meant I had to do what was planned for tomorrow. Making cupcakes for Marie's kids. Unfortunately I was almost out of flour and of icing sugar but had just been to the supermarket and refused to go out again (which I actually did anyway but after the cupcakes were made). So I measured how much flour I had - found out I had 1/2 a cup and decided to try scaling down a recipe. I used the white velvet recipe from HowToEatACupcake and excluded the marshmellows.

Here's what my recipe looked like:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
30g butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/6 of a cup of milk (roughly - I just tried to fill my 1/3 cup measure halfway)
1 egg white

Method (same as original)
1) Mix flour, baking powder and salt
2) Cream butter and sugar (I didn't really do this properly it was too hard with such a small amount)
3) Alternatively add milk and flour mix to the creamed butter and sugar ending with milk
4) Now I added some red and yellow food colouring
5) Beat egg whites - supposed to do it till they form soft peaks but I just did it with the whisk until my arm for sore
6) Fold egg whites carefully into other mixture
7) Cook at 160 celsius for about 20 minutes

I also used this as an opportunite to try my silicone cases without paper linings, and they worked well! Anyway the original was supposed to make 12 and I got a perfect 3! So here's the pictures (I was playing around with my camera settings so the colouring isn't totally consistent:

Waiting to be cooked:


Mmm out of the oven - they had a nice (? well I thought it was nice but I'm a positive person) spongy sort of look to them, maybe from pockets of egg white - would be good for a spongebob cupcake - oooh I wanna do a spongebob cupcake!


I bought a new piping nozzle and now have pretty decent looking swirls! Yay!


And finally - on go the nemos! I made these specially as Marie's kids are going to Nemo on ice this week, also a good change to play with my edible pen. However I was soo excited and did it too quickly - I could have done a more polished job with the pen.


Tomorrow's post: slugs and barley (ew and yum!).

xxx
Mindy

No comments: