Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Fun with Chocolate

Ok so on Monday night I decided to try some things out with chocolate. Mostly because i nthe weekend I made the trek to the Cake Decorating shop in the Doncaster market and bought some proper food colouring paste so I could try colouring white chocolate (as some of you might know you can't use water based food colouring as water and chocolate don't mix!). Anyway I'm thinking about making some neopolitan cupcakes to take to Cambridge when we visit Rach and Greg so I decided to make neopolitan coloured chocolate hearts! I didn't really know what I was doing just mucked around but I was really happy with the result. So easy but a good effect!

Step 1:

I melted 4 square of dark choc - didn't need that many, ended up coating some cake balls with it and still had some left.

Anyway take some melted dark chocolate and sort of splatter and drip it on a piece of baking paper on a flat tray.

Step 2:

Melt some white chocolate and add red food colouring. Drip and splatter the melted pink chocolate over the dark chocolate doesn't matter too much if they mix.

Here's the result of Step 1 and 2:



Step 3:

Put the tray in the fridge so they chocolate goes hard.

Step 4:

Melt white chocolate and carefully spread over the pink and dark chocolate splatters. Even the white chocolate so it's smooth, then cover with another piece of baking paper and I put a book on it to make it flat. Then in the fridge again.

Step 5:

When the chocolate is hard take cookie cutters and cut out your chocolate shapes! Don't press them hard and quickly into the chocolate like you would making cookies as that will just crack the chocolate but slowly easy the cutter down.

Here's my cute wee heart cutters I got the other day:



And the finished result (Plus some random yellow hearts that I made out of left over yellow chocolate I was also playing with):



xxx
Mindy

No comments: