Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Neapolitan Cupcakes

Hello!

I hope you all remember my funky multi-coloured chocolate hearts? Well they were just the start of the story! Here's a picture to jog your memory:



Ok so these were destined to be more than just chocolate art, they were destined to adorn beautiful cupcakes. So on Wednesday night I helped them to achieve their destiny. I decided to make HowToEatACupcake's Neapolitan cupcakes because they were so damn pretty! Also I used to love Neapolitan icecream when I was kid. The recipe (off the site) was so good! It worked perfectly, I had no problem keeping the vanilla and chocolate batters separate - and it was such a delicious batter. Infact I should probably never make these again as I ate too much of it!

Anyway here you can see how the cooked cuppies looked - nice distinction between the vanilla and chocolate (you can see the front one has been stabbed with a knife - it must have been the one I used to test for doneness).


So I didn't use Swiss Meringue Buttercream though as I said I wasn't going to do it again without an electric beater so I just made normal butter cream: 113g butter (1/2 cup) 3 cups of icing sugar, 1/3 cup strawberry jam (with no bits), and 1/4 cup of milk.

Here is the finished batch:


And here's one close up:


I really need to get my icing whirls a bit neater! I guess practise makes perfect, I also need to try with adifferent icing tip too.

Have a nice weekend everyone and good luck to my Mum and Dad who are doing a huge (160km) bike race this weekend!

xxx
Mindy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please send me some! Hehe. They look so so so delicious! Hope you are having a good weekend. We bought second hand bikes today, I am so happy! From Susannah :-)

amy said...

Hey they do look really good. I will post some pictures of the ones I made although I made really tiny ones so it wasn't easy separating the batter. Also I want them to be striped up and down but some of the choc stuck to the top- a bit messy!