Thursday, August 26, 2010

Apple Oat and Bran Muffins

Well I didn't intend to post this recipe on my blog. They're not pretty and they're not glamorous, and, well, I'm all about pretty and glamour. But I just keep making these babies and they are just that gooooood that I can't help myself. Also they're really healthy (very little sugar, LOTS of fibre, low GI) and if you make with soy milk like me they're diary free! I make 24 out of one batch of pretty small muffins (not quite mini but close) and I think the little size really works as they are quite dense. It's also a super easy recipe and you can substitute almost anything out or in. For example they'd probably be awesome with some spices like cinamon thrown in but I didn't think of it at the time.

200°C

1 C Milk (I used skim soy milk)
1 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Molasses (could substitute raw sugar or brown sugar or white sugar if you really want)
1/4 C Oil (I used Rice Bran Oil)
2 eggs
1 1/2 C Bran
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
1 C Flour
1 C Oats (any kind I used normal porridge oats)
1/2 C Raisins
2 Large apples diced (I leave the skins on, added vitamins!)

1. Mix milk, honey, molasses, oil, eggs and bran until well combined.
2. Sift in baking powder, baking soda, flour and salt and stir until just combined (try to keep it under 25 stirs).
3. Stir in the oats, raisin and apple.
4. Spoon into muffin trays and bake for about 15 minutes.

Note 2 apples is quite a lot, you end up basically spooning apple with a small amount of mixture - if you like your muffins more muffiny then just use one apple.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Beth said...

These look beautiful, In their own ugly way. Yummo, im going to try them.

amy said...

you gotta bring some this weekend sis!

amy said...

man these were good!