Thursday, April 24, 2008

Yes I'm strange

Hello! I'm in France! Well I am as I'm writing this, by the time I publish it I'll be in England again... but just pretend ok?

So how did I get here? Well I went down to London for a meeting on Friday during the course of which we were on a conference call with some people in France who decided it would be better if I were there in person. So it was decided I'd go down on Wednesday. Not much notice at all really!


This is a picture of a lovely square, Stanislas, in Nancy

Anyway so I was dismayed to find out it would take me a day to get to Nancy, and a day to get back. It wasn't actually as bad as I first thought, the time was mostly just in the waiting for trains. Anyway bright and early on Tuesday morning (6.59am) I caught the bus to Doncaster station to begin my trip to Nancy. First down to London Kings Cross, then walk across the road to St Pancras station, then on the Eurostar to Paris, then walk a block to another Paris station, sit and wait for two hours, then train to Nancy where I arrived 5.47pm local time!

France appears to be lovely - I really want to come back in a tourist capacity. Everywhere in Europe I go is lovely though it seems. Older buildings are just more decorative and prettier! It was lovely and warm last night so I decided to be brave and went out for a explore and I was glad I did. I found some beautiful looking buildings and a gorgeous square! Part of the reason for my courage was the hotel I'm staying in happens to be a huge high rise, so I knew I couldn't get lost as I could see it from wherever I wandered to!

Today was work and a very nice guy approached me at breakfast who was also English and going to visit the ECR (Euro Cargo Rail) Offices so I had myself a ride. The day was productive... I've got a lot of work ahead of me now though!

Ok finally as to why I'm strange. Because I'm in France and instead of having delicious French food for dinner I'm having baked beans and an apple. Hehe. My excuse, I'm getting sick and just feel awful - you know that terrible feeling you get when your throat is tickly and then sore and you know there's worse to come! And you know how when you're getting a cold things taste a bit funny too - so really delicious food would be wasted on me. So I'm in my pjs watching Star Trek, knititng, eating an apple and really looking forward to bringing Darren back to France with me next time! I'm sure I'll have to come back again for work - maybe Paris next time and I should be able to make it either side of a weekend so he can come. Yay!

Love,

Mindy

PS (Added next day) I realised something today that made me quite happy. I can confirm amongst strangers I really don’t care in the least what people think of me. Well of the real me – I would be annoyed if they made assumptions and judged me etc. I came to this realization when I was sitting on the train from Paris to London in full view of everyone nearby watching Star Trek on my laptop and knitting.

1 comment:

Lyndy said...

you are not strange, you are awesomes! :D mind you I am strange so Im not sure my opinion counts for much! anyways ... when are you going to come knitting and watching star trek in Toronto? You do know they have a whole channel dedicated to sci fi here? :D