Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mmm Custard

Well I don't mean to boast but I can now add custard to my repertoire of things I can cook. Additionally I can also now add repertoire to my repertoire of words I can spell!

We didn't have a very big tea for dinner on Monday so I decided to make pancakes for desert, I thought it would be nice to to have chocolate sauce with them. I remember at Christmas I'd made a chocolate icing based on custard, so I decided to look for a recipe for chocolate custard. I found one and gave it a go, and it was a horrible (but yummy) disaster. Did you know custard can curdle? I didn't... I wondered why it had so many tiny bumps in it - it wasn't at all the consistency of custard!

So I headed to google and did some research and found out why custard curdles. Basically if the egg yolks get too hot too quickly.

Now happily I'm in the habit of making egg white omeletes at the moment, so when I got home from work tonight and whipped up an omelete and then I had two egg yolks left over... so I thought time to give custard another go. I unfortunately didn't have much milk at all, but I kept going anyway. This is my recipe I made up which ended up making some very rich yummy thick chocolate custard which you wouldn't eat by itself but as a topping for something... like icecream!

Ingredients:
2 egg yolks (room temperate)
About 200ml milk (I used skimmed) use more than this if you don't want it super thick, I was planning on using about 280ml.
40g of caster sugar
Tbsp cocoa
tspn cornflour
drop of vanilla

Method:
1 Heat the milk up in a saucepan with the vanilla, just so it's almost boiling.
2 Whisk the egg yolks with the cocoa and sugar and cornflour to get a nice even consistency
3 Pour a tiny bit of milk into the egg mixture and whisk, pour another tiny bit in, you don't want the egg yolks to get too hot too quickly.
4 Keep pouring in the milk and whisking until all the milk is in the eggs
5 Return the mixture to the saucepan
6 Put on the stove at a very low temperature - and don't walk away! Keep stirring it the whole time! And just sit here patiently until it's as thick as you want it. Maybe 10 minutes of something.

And there you go! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Dale Anderson said...

mmm sounds good, interesting re the egg yolk getting hot too quick.

Lyndy said...

Heyyyyy you made custard from scratch! :D

Next you'll have to try anglaise! :D

Or Creme Caramel! Mmmmm

Or Portugese Tarts! Maybe after you've been to Portugal :D:D:D