Sunday, March 18, 2007

Quick Rant!

Sorry something has just REALLY been annoying me this past month or so. Before I say what it is I want to stress it is NOT personal, I really like the cleaners at work, for my first few weeks it seemed they were the only people who would talk to me... so yes this is not a personal thing, not even their fault probably. BUT I am really sick of being cleaned around. My contract states my working hours are from 8.30 till 5, but if you get here before 9 you have to put up with the cleaners still cleaning your room. They vacuum around me and bang my feet and my chair, and on the days when they are not vacuuming they are dusting my desk underneath me. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to react, am I supposed to gracefully get up and spend 5 minutes standing around watching them work achieving nothing myself. I may as well do my own cleaning if that is the case (which I have no problem with at all).

I just think it's so silly that their schedules can't be changed so they finish by 8.30. Don't most buildings get cleaned at like 3am or something anyway? I'm not suggesting that needs to be done, just get the offices done by 8.30, maybe things could be jiggled so they do the offices before 8.30 and the kitchens after 8.30 or something. I don't even know why this bugs me so much but it does. Would it bother anyone else or am I just insane?

Ok I'm done.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Love
Mindy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, I have the untidiest desk at JSC and one of the cleaners tried to clean it with "pledge", it took her 13 minutes to clear most of the stuff off. I wouldn't have minded but I was still at my desk at the time.

The reason we don't have them start earlier is so we can post "record" profits.

There are certain cleaning ladies that are worse than others, I don't like the one with the blue perm, she scares me and I think she has issues going back to a troubled childhood in the Manawatu.

Anonymous said...

You know that more people from JSC read this blog than you think.
I don't think its fair to make the housekeepers start super early just so that they don't disturb you for 5 mins in the morning.
When they come around my desk I make sure its fairly tidy and easy for them to clean. If they are vacuuming I stand up and move my chair out of the way for them. That seems like the sensible and polite thing to do.
You will find that they suffered some of the biggest redundancies during the cutbacks and are running on a skeleton staff at the best of times. Did you ever stop to think that they do actually start early, they just have a lot to get through. I have seen them starting here around 06:00.

Mindy said...

Oh definitely! I agree with you, that's why I specifically didn't say they needed to start super early, I specifically said they didn't need to start super early, just suggested that there might be a way they could do the kitchens second. And yes I did stop to think that they might start early.

Maybe the real solution is just we need more cleaners so they don't have as much to do :)

Mindy said...

Also I know EXACTLY how many people from JSC read this blog :) It's pretty easy to figure out the JSC ip addresses who visit.

Anonymous said...

The housekeepers in the area I am in do the offices first, they are normally still going between 08:30 and 09:00.
Then they move on the the hallways, then kitchens etc.
I think they probably do need more staff. They used to clean every day, now it only seems to be every second day.

Anonymous said...

our cleaners come in the evening and they dont clean my desk anyway. Its always too messy. I would get annoyed if they did it while I was trying to do work.

Also if people at JSC aren't nice to Mindy I'll come round and beat them up. She is my favourite cousin.

amy said...

i don't think you should have favourite cousins kirsty!

the cleaners protested outside msd the other day. there were heaps of them and they were beating on their buckets and yelling and blowing horns. it was fun.

my desk is always messy too and I don't think that they vacumn under it as there is always stuff on the floor still. maybe we have no cleaners....