Friday, December 12, 2008

Coconut Pyramids

Hi!

I'll be cutting my cake soon so you can all see the very interesting creation that was. I've actually eaten a fair bit of it. It's a bit crumbly - and interesting as all the raisins sunk to the bottom - so there's a layer of mostly just cake, then the nuts are below that, then the raisins at the bottom. Anyway you'll be able to see when I cut it and take photos. It is very delicious anyway despite being crumbly.

But yes I managed to do one more lot of baking today. You wouldn't have thought it was possible but it was not enough for me to use up 85% of my baking cupboard when I still had 125g of coconut and sugar in there. (I don't have a hope of using up all the baking powder and baking soda). So I found a recipe that has coconut, sugar and egg whites in it. Perfect! It's from a book I bought the other day "The Great Big Cookie Book" by Hilaire Walden. The recipe is for coconut pyramids which was eaten during passover - they don't have any yeast in them, and the pyramid shapes are a reminder of when the Jews were slaves in Egypt.

Anyway unfortunately I burned these while writing the first two paragraphs of this blog! But regardless they are delicious and simple and I will make them again and again. Infact even burnt I still ate about 6 as soon as I took them out of the oven. The mixture tastes like like Bounty Bars (which if you think about it makes sense sugar + coconut). Infact I have plans to make these and dip them in chocolate - Darren has requested them with caramel in the middle but we shall see.

Coconut Pyramids (I halved these quantities to match how much coconut I had)

225g coconut
115g caster sugar
2 egg whites

Mix the coconut and sugar. Lightly whisk the egg whites. Mix enough egg whites into the coconut sugar to make a firm mixtures (you might not need all the egg whites). Shape teaspoons into balls then press onto oiled baking sheet and shape into pyramids. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 190 celcius until tops are brown (in my case this happened after 9 minutes!)

Here's a quiz thing I grabbed from a blog I like Baking with Dynamite I actually wrote the answers for this in yesterday they are a day old.

You have to answer with one word answer - damned near impossible - how do you say where someone is in one word!

1. Where is your cell phone? Near
2. Where is your significant other? Computer
3. Your hair color? Brown
4. Your mother? Enthusiastic
5. Your father? Kind
6. Your favorite thing? Hugs
7. Your dream last night? Unpleasant
8. Your dream/goal? Family
9. The room you’re in? Lounge
11. Your fear? Worms
12. Where do you want to be in 6 years? Happy
13. Where were you last night? Here
14. What you’re not? Ugly (haha I got Darren to answer this one for me I couldn't think of anything - isn't he sweet)
15. One of your wish-list items? Cake-mixer
16. Where you grew up? Christchurch
17. The last thing you did? Pub
18. What are you wearing? Dressy
19. Your TV? Ghostbusters
20. Your pet? Soon
21. Your computer? Reliable
22. Your mood? Lethargic
23. Missing someone? Yup
24. Your car? Sold!
25. Something you’re not wearing? Shoes
26. Favorite store? ASDA (haha)
27. Your summer? Soon
28. Love someone? Lots
29. Your favorite color? Red
30. When is the last time you laughed? Today
31. Last time you cried? Yesterday

:)
Mindy

No comments: