Monday, September 29, 2008

Prague

Hello Readers!

Last weekend Darren and I went on a pretty last minute holiday to Prague. Darren had a couple of involuntary days off work (due to the job at that site winding down) so it was a case of check all the cheap airlines and see where we can get to - Prague came in the cheapest so that was good enough for us! 

Anyway it was a really lovely weekend. I'd definitely recommend Prague - but to be honest I really haven't found a place I don't like yet so maybe I'm not picky enough or something. Everywhere we've been has had it's own personality and charm. In terms of physical beauty though I'd say Prague is definitely up there, there were many gorgeous old buildings with a unique style of exterior decoration - quite highly decorated.

We spent the first morning in the castle, where we visited this gorgeous church but I can't remember if it was a basicilica or cathedral and I'm sorry I can't be bothered looking it up. It had very vibrant stained glass windows - I spent ages just looking at them while Darren wandered around as usual taking hundreds of photos.


In the afternoon we rushed back to the other side of the river to do a walking tour but I got the wrong meeting spot so we just explored the old town square and did quite a walking tour of our own! Then - sorry to admit it - we had TGI Fridays for dinner. I haven't had this since it was in Chch where the Vic and Whale now is and well I just really wanted to for old times sake. And I must say I really enjoyed my meal too!

In the old town square there's a cool clock tower with an astromical clock. Each hour from 9am- to 9pm I think there's a short ceremony where a skeleton to one side of the clock starts ringing a bell - apparently to tell us we're going to die, the two men on either side of the clock shake their head to say no we're not, and there are two or four saints or something that circle in and out of doors above the clock. Then the clock chimes. It is quite cool, but more amazing is the crowd of tourist who gather every single hour of the day to see this!


The next morning we did make it to the right spot for a great free walking tour which was really good we got to learn a bit of cool history and see some things we wouldn't have found ourselves. Like this cool statue.


And just so there's a picture of me in this post (haha) here's a picture of me in Prague - notice my cool new jacket which I purchased a couple of weeks ago from my favourite shopping spot - the Yorkshire outlet mall :D



xxx
Mindy

No comments: